Hi all — this is a two part post requesting recommendations (and cautions if you have them). I work for a non-profit org and we’re quite seriously looking into rolling out O365 at our org and then implementing Sharepoint. To help assess the feasibility of this we’re looking for two separate, but related things:
1. We’re very interested in the immediate term on recommendations for orgs / tools that we can use to run an analysis on the current state of our Sharedrive. We’d like to get a fairly comprehensive report on what we have there in terms of duplicates, age of information (creation / last modified), file formats, and anything we can pull that will indicate in broad strokes what the docs are (i.e. memos, notes, etc.) from the docs themselves to get an initial read on what we’re dealing with. Any recommendations in this space?
2. Our organization has 2 people employed with IM / RM backgrounds (what we’ve never had before this year is management buy-in on this expertise). Due to this we’re confident we can construct at a high level the architecture that will work best for our users and the retention schedule that we’ll require. What we don’t have is expertise in the initial configuration of Sharepoint and would be interested in hiring a company or individual with implementation expertise to both work with us to do the initial set-up but then also download org-specific knowledge to us to then manage the instance in house post-implementation. We’d love recommendations for orgs or individuals they’ve worked with to accomplish this so we can see if such a path may be doable for us. We’re aware of AIIM’s training (indeed I’ve taken some of it, including on Sharepoint specifically) but we don’t have the hands-on experience and would prefer to bring experience in on this if possible for us. We’re Canadian and have about 50 employees across 5 offices.
Information Systems Manager
The tool that we use to gather information from file shares is Treesize Professional https://www.jam-software.com/treesize/ We export that into Excel and do further analysis.
Thor Projects LLC
Thanks, Robert — I’ll check that out thoroughly today. Alan, same goes for DocAuthority. And, Lorne, I’ll also reach out to you after those checks.
You may want to look at DocAuthority (www.docauthority.com). DocAuthority is a pioneer in unstructured data identification and valuation. We enable organizations to discover and organize their documents with better utilization and focus on minimizing risk and adding value. We do this by automatically collecting documents into categories and assigning metadata values that easily aligns controls with business usage of the information. Document discovery, done without any user intervention and with an accuracy of 99.99%. Using DocAuthority with SharePoint, you would be able to organize information across sites, doc libraries and folders. DocAuthority will be able to give you the visibility you described in your question. Please feel free to reach out to me
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)